The holiday season is the time to bring people together. Celebrate. See family…. And gain unwanted weight.?.?.?.
It’s why, in a survey done about New Years Resolutions, 45% of people had “Lose weight or get in shape” as part of their resolutions.
And this time of the year plays a BIG part in that. Between Thanksgiving (for some, Halloween!), and New Years, a lot of people gain unwanted weight. I’ve asked a few people about past years weight gains. Some said 5-10lbs, some went up to 15+lbs.
That’s a lot of weight in such a short amount of time. So, I wanted to share some tips, and tricks to combat that seasonal weight gain.
- Maintain a normal workout routine.
- Don’t skip workouts. 10 or 15 minutes is better than nothing.
- Get proper sleep (less sleep= more cravings).
- It’s ok to say NO. To seconds, extra food, more wine…
- Fill your plate with a lot of protein and veggies. Aim for at least 70%.
- 1 plate rule. Fill it up. No second trips.
- For salads, choose oil based over creamy dressings
- Be picky with food. Eat the food you REALLY want. Not just because it’s there.
- No grazing. Hold a convo or catch up with people away from the kitchen.
- Be mindful of snacking. Eating the cookie is fine. Eating the whole tray, not so much.
- Don’t have back to back unhealthy meals.
- Be mindful of alcohol. Liquid calories add up quick!
- Go for a walk after a big meal.
- Keep stress levels down. Meditate, do yoga.
- Enjoy yourself! Any unwanted weight that you put on can go away once you’re back into a normal health/fitness routine.